St. Charles Social Security Disability Attorney on Handling Consultative Exams

St. Charles Social Security Disability Attorney Close Crop on Doctor with Arms CrossedWhen St. Charles social security disability attorney David M. Hicks helps his clients with their applications for Social Security disability, he is careful to prepare them for their consultative examinations. Consultative exams are conducted by doctors who are contracted to do so by the Social Security Administration, or SSA. Sometimes, the doctors spend too little time during the exam or give an unfavorable report that is in contradiction with the treating physician’s opinions.

When Attending the Consultative Exam

When you are scheduled for your consultative exam, it is a good idea for you to bring a friend to it who can be a witness. Your friend can check the time the exam starts and how long the doctor spends time with you while conducting it. If you are unhappy with the manner in which the exam is conducted, then your disability attorney can help by complaining to your Social Security disability examiner or to your administrative judge. It may also be a good idea in this situation for you to write a letter and request that it be added to your applicant file. Your attorney can help you with all of this.

If the Doctor Gives an Unfavorable Report

Sometimes, a doctor who performs a consultative exam makes an unfavorable report to the SSA. When that doctor’s report is contradicted by your own treating doctor’s opinion, your attorney may ask your doctor to write their own report detailing why they disagree and giving their own opinion. Your attorney may subpoena the consultative examination doctor to your hearing so they can be cross-examined.

Contact a St. Charles Social Security Disability Attorney

The process involved with seeking Social Security benefits can be difficult, necessitating the help of an experienced Social Security lawyer. To schedule a free consultation with St. Charles social security disability attorney David M. Hicks, call our office toll-free at (888) 588-0001 or (314) 812-4885.